I did promise, in a previous post, House Sitting – Getting Started, that I would talk a little about how to get house sits in your preferred location.
There are several ways this can be achieved:
- There are many house sitting platforms that you can join and some of them favour certain countries over others. If you have joined some of the Facebook groups for house sitters you will get lots of advice on which ones work best for which areas in the world.
- There are many house sitting groups on Facebook targeted at particular countries, simply search house sitting and see what comes up
- You could set up a business page on Facebook
- You could create a website
These are all useful and may produce results but, in my opinion, the problem with the first 2 is that you will be fending off a lot of competition. I often see sits advertised and there are over 30, or even 50 applicants.
What I Did:
- Identified where I wanted to go
- Searched on Facebook for expat groups for those specific locations
- Searched, and/or asked if there were buy and sell groups for the area
- Advertised my services
- Gave a link to my Trusted House Sitters profile where I already had good reviews and references
- Asked people to message me
- Entered into discussions; you need to ask lots of questions
- Requested photographs of the home and pets
- Created my own agreement based on templates from Trusted House Sitters and other places
Once you get a sit in your preferred location and while you are there you can also
- Have business cards printed to give out to other people that you meet
- Ask the home owners to recommend you to their friends, word of mouth is still tbe best advertising
- Place advertisements in local pet shops and rescues
I now have pretty much a 50/50 divide between private bookings and ones booked through Trusted House Sitters. Also, I have many repeat sits and these are mainly the privately booked ones.
However, I do feel that is is important to be registered with a reputable house sitting platform first, in order to build up your reviews and also to gain insight into how the process works and learn what the possible pitfalls are. There is definitely a greater sense of security using a recognised platform and I have found that there are fewer cancellations. However, if you are brave enough to reach out independently as well you will be able to mould things to suit yourself.
I am sure there are lots of ingenious ways that other house sitters have discovered so if you have any suggestions please comment.
25% off Trusted House Sitters
If you are interested in registering with Trusted House Sitters either as a house sitter or a home owner. You can use this link or simply use the code RAF232761 at check out. I also benefit by getting 2 months free registration.
Current price before discount (December 2019) in the UK is £89 per year although home owners can also register for just 3 months for £49.
I do not have the prices for other countries.
Thank you for reading. If you have enjoyed this post and would like to read more you can subscribe to my blog using the subscribe box below.
Disclaimer: In the name of full transparency, please be aware that this blog post contains affiliate and referral links which may reward me in the event of a subscription or sale (at no extra cost for you).